So I’ve had my Charge HR for a little while now, so I figured an updated review was in order.
TL;DR I love it.
There was a recent update to the firmware that seems to have made the heart rate much more accurate for me, especially when I work out on the elliptical. Here’s my chest-strap HRM vs the fitbit on my last workout:
Not too bad eh? I think the chest strap will *always* be just a little bit more accurate than any wrist-based heart rate monitor, but that’s totally fine for me. I hated having to put on a chest strap to get my heart rate while I exercised, and I’d be willing to give up way more accuracy than this to get that data for free while wearing something I was going to wear anyway. Now for some other points I’ve come across after wearing it for a week or two:
- Coming from using a Fitbit One, I’m loving the wrist-based tracker. I never have to worry about it falling out of my pockets (which happened all the time) or always having to be sure to transfer it whenever I change pants
- The auto sleep detection is awesome and so far for me, super accurate. I still don’t really know what to do with this data yet, but it is backing up my belief that I suck at sleeping, real bad.
- The silent alarm is pretty great, I like being able to wake up earlier than my fiancee without having to wake her up with my obnoxious phone alarm
- I love the constant heart rate as it seems to get me much more accurate calorie burn, especially when I do stuff like clean the house, which for some reason raises my heart rate to the fat burn zone
- The only thing I wish was better was battery life, and even that’s not bad. I don’t even charge it all the way til it’s full, I’ve just gotten in the habit of plugging it in for a few minutes at a time when I’m standing at my desk and know that I won’t be moving for awhile
- To get the best, most accurate heart rate while using the elliptical, I found it best to make it one notch tighter than I usually wear it, and push it up my wrist a bit more so it stays put. With this I’ve gotten much fewer random dips and spikes
Overall, I’m very impressed with the new Fitbit. I may be a bit biased, as I love Fitbit for A) Playing a pretty big part of me losing 150 pounds and B) Having a pretty awesome API, allowing me to do some fun stuff, but I really do think the Charge HR is awesome, and the best Fitbit yet.